Setting Master Pages
- Create a new master page for each section.
- Create a filing system
- Use InDesign Library
1- Edit => Preferences => General =>
2- New => Document
- Units and increments => centimetres? Picas??
- Grids => modify their color
- Dictionary: choose language
- Multilingual: English
- Place = Insert (ctrl D)
- Ctrl 1= 100% (viewing/zooming)
- Ctrl + = more/bigger || Ctrl - = less/smaller
- Font= T = size (bigger size = ctrl + shift OR "+>")
- = Leading = space between the lines
- To copy: highlight + Alt + Move what I want to copy => copied
- F12 = pages || F6 = colors || F7 = layers || F8 = info/text
- File => Import XML => from the Internet
- File => PDF export presets => eBook
- Screen = for email condensed
- File => export => EPS (picture)
- [[Windows => Type & Tables => text wrap]]
- Ctrl + space bar = bigger size screen
- Drawing circles + squares: to fix the shape/size => "+shift"
- Fit content to frame // fit frame to content (top)
- Colors: always CMYK
- Object => arrange => send backwards
- File => document set up => to change anything in what I have already set up.
- File => Print Preset => Mac LAB
- General spreads => for A3 pages
- Set up => tile = divide (tile- overlap = give some space so that the printer wouldn't eat the words)
- page position = centered
- File => Library use : create grids for all pages and move them to the library.
Note: Gutter = margin between columns || Doc preset => custom
- Paste into: in a shape you have drawn
- Paste in place: in the same place on the page (even if it is on another page)
- Step and repeat (ctrl + shift + v)= duplicate (the way we want it, horizontally and vertically)
- To move the grid: click on the second arrow (the one to the right) + move it
- View => Lock Guides : if I don't want anyone to move the grid
- Edit in story editor: put all text in another document for proofing.
- Find/change = Find and Replace
- Margins + columns
- Ruler guides: to make symetric
- CREATE GUIDES
- Numbering (NO for sections?)+ Section options => automatic page numbers
- create text box where I want to place the number
- go to Master + go to Type => insert special character + auto page number (A = used for numbering)
- (for both left and right pages: step + repeat)
- Table of Contents => style
- [[TO ADD FONTS:
- Start => Programs => Accessories => Windows Explorer => go to My Computer on the left => double click on CD (inserted earlier with new fonts) => select the fonts I need to copy + copy them
- Go to WINNT in the left margin (under "C") => click "+" => double click on Fonts => paste the copied fonts. ]]
- Click on T => create a text box in order to see the TYPE keys.
- Size => to make font size bigger = "ctrl + shift + >" (or < for smaller size)
- Diacritic positioning = for Arabic (accents)
- TABS: for drawing tables without lines => parallel columns + rows // no lines
- draw text box
- write in it using TAB between columns
- type => tabs + put text box under the tab window
- click MAGNET (position palette)
- Glyphs: => symbols (to insert symbols)
- If I want to save a set of glyphs for my own use => click on the top arrow in the glyph box => New glyph set => give it a name + click on the symbol I want to use => add to glyph set.
- bottom right: signs for viewing bigger or smaller symbols
- Story: For Arabic (right to left or left to right)
- Click on one of the boxes at the bottom of the story box to shift from left to right or vice versa.
- Character & Styles (later)
- [[Other items under TYPE are not that important]]
- To shift from a language to another: Alt + Shift
- Create Outlines (Illustrator on InDesign)
- changes font to picture whose shape I can change
- If I have a text that I want to divide into 3 columns => Top Right: number of column icon with number next to it => change number into the number of columns I want
- OR right click on text => text frame options (in objects)
- OR click "Control B"
Object: (To control Drawings)
(SHIFT = To draw anything symetricDay 5:
TAB = Menus appear / disappear
Saving Pictures: under TIFF or EPS only! [TIFF= 8 bit pixels])
- scale = make bigger
- move = by measurements
- To move boxes: left arrow + seize boxes from center
- Text frame options: dividing text into columns
- Fixed column width => symetric width/height of columns
- Insert spacing: VERY useful
- Baseline: later
- Fitting: to fit content / picture to frame (or vice versa) or to center. We can also reach it from the top right hand side of the window: four icons (to see this option I need to click on picture + the right arrow)
- Choose "fit content proportionally" to be on the safe size (for portraits mainly)
- Content: I can arrange the content of the box from here.
- Drop shadow: make a shadow for the text, image. (In Photoshop => emboss : shadow all over)
- Feather: for edges of pictures => make them softer => two pictures will merge together (this option is better in Photoshop)
- Drop shadow + feather: use them together
- We can also add a shadow for words
- XXXX Corner Effects => I need to have an edge for the frame XXXX
- Clipping Path = emptying edges to write around the shape of the person in the photo?? (cf Photoshop)
- In Photoshop: Open picture file => use Lasso tool => cut or copy => New => save as EPS => for printing (2.0)
- Make it one layer (FLATTEN from LAYER)
- Magic wand (choose tolerance 10) => click on white color
- go to select menu => inverse
- window menu => path => make work path => tolerance 0.1 => save path => go to right menu => clipping path => choose path 1 => OK => save.
- Interactive => for the Internet (sounds, movies...)
- Display Performance: to view the quality of the picture on the screen => high quality display if I want to print (usually it is on Typical Display)
- In order to insert a table I need to create a text box first.
- Convert table to text (highlight text in table before clicking this)
- I can also convert text to table (text written under Tab)
- In order to change anything in Table, select the part I want to change first.
- Overprint view / proof set up / proof colors = for printing
- Fit spread = shows 2 facing pages on screen
- Entire pasteboard = white colors around the pages
- we can use it to paste text on it => then take what we need from the text.
- Show structure = No need
- Hide hyperlinks: hide lines
- Snap to guides: attracts text boxes to the guide lines.
- Show text threads => shows where the continued text goes.
- Hide guides: done from here cannot be undone from the icon that is in the left margin.
- SHIFT: If I have a lot of additional text and I click on SHIFT, then I click where I want the text to be, the program itself adds text boxes (columns only) to fit the rest of the text.
- "Alt + Shift" will create pages as well.
- Snap to document grid => work on small squares => they will catch my line like magnets.
[[Window => save workspace]]Day 7:
- Align (to align objects)
- Attributes: If I do not want an object to be printed, I select it + click "Non Printing"
o Stroke = edges / frame
o Rectangle with diagonal line: empty (not white)
o Choose colors from CMYK (Cyan=blue, Magenta=red, Yellow, black) not RGB (red, green, blue = for the screen)
- Control menu (on top of screen- “Alt Ctrl 6”)
- Gradient (of colors => mixing colors—2 colors or more):
- Open the color menu + change colors in the gradient from there
- Make gradient for text (highlight + click gradient + change colors)
- Interactive: for hyperlinks
- Links: shows me all pictures and folders
o if I update a picture in Photoshop: I click on Update Links from “Links”
o if I double click on Link I see everything about it (+ location …)
- Output preview: for printing
- Pages: shows me how many pages I have
o I can add a new master from the right arrow (right clicking), then I will have masters A & B.
o I can drag the master I want to the page I want
o If I want to delete a page, I can drag the page to the garbage bin + delete it, or I can right click on the arrow + delete the page
- Pathfinder: A lot of shapes- It gives me the shapes that I need (several connected circles, or connected circles that are empty from the inside, or two squares, one inside the other…)
- Scripting: Not used
- Stroke: Frame
o Gap Color: spacing between dots, for example.
o If I want to change Gap Color, I need to have drawn something with gaps.
o Gap tint: darker/lighter (color of gaps)
- Swatches: for solid colors + creating colors + saving them
o Right click on top right arrow => New color swatch => create the color I want
- Tags: Not used
- Tools: to the left of the screen / vertical (tool box)
- Transparency: see through- knock out group => make 2 or more shapes as 1 shape.
- Type & Tables:
o Metrics = spacing between characters
o Character styles: for titles/subtitles:
1. To create a style for Title: go to character style, click on top right arrow => New Character Style => name it + create shortcut if I want (ex: click on “ctrl + 1” or “shift + 1”)o Paragraph style
2. Anytime I want the same Title format/style, I go to character style + click on saved format
3. Same for subtitles.
4. Same for body text.
5. If I want to edit/update the character style, I double click on it + click on one of the options in the left box.
o Story: when I have a lot of writing and it needs to continue in another column, I go to Story to change the direction of Text so that it goes either from left to right or vice versa.
o Text Wrap: for pictures around text.
o Baseline: so that the space between the lines would be similar throughout the book.
1. we decide on the leading (distance between the lines) which should be the same in the whole book
2. copy leading (pts)
3. go to edit => preferences => grids => Increment every: (here I paste the points of leading I copied before)
4. right click on text => click on “Text Frame Options” => first baseline => change from Ascent to Leading.
• Arrow: select toolTable of Contents: (at the end)
• Pen tool: adding points to shapes created in order to change form
• Text tool:
o ME Path type tool (Arabic)• Pencil tool:
o Path tool (4th one = English)
o To type around a path/shape
- If I want to draw a line and write something around it, then I want to get rid of the line: instead of 1 pt stroke, I change it into 0 pt stroke (top right box)
o Draw whatever I want• Scale tool: make 100% or 150% bigger (or make smaller)
o Smooth => fewer pts
o Erase tool
o Line: If I want a straight line, click Shift + draw the line.
o If I want to scale proportionally, I click on SHIFT.• Shear tool: skew it
• Free transform tool: move shapes the way I want.
• Measure tool
• Gradient tool: color: bright to dark.
• Button tool: for the Internet
• Scissors: cut part of the shape, then go to left Arrow and delete.
• Eye dropper: can copy the format of font (like the Paint brush). I have to highlight the section I want to change, then I take the eye dropper to the section I want to copy.
• Write contents + page numbers (click on Tab once before each page number)Index: Shift 8
• Go to Type => Paragraph Styles (or F11) => click on top right arrow => name it => choose font/size/format/leading (under basic character formats) => Tabs => click on (right justification) then place the arrow where I want the page numbers to be (at the right end) => choose Leader (if Dots => put 1 dot only).
o The Leader consists of how I want to fill the space between words and page numbers.• (Check UNDERLINE option under paragraph and style)
o If I want to indent within each section => go to Indents and Spacing and Update (by double clicking on the paragraph style) the indenting, OR create New Paragraph Style with Indenting.
1. Clicking once on text selects one word
2. Double clicking on text selects half
3. Clicking 3 times on text selects all
4. Type => Create Outline => for frames (very important for well designed words)